Monday, June 20, 2011

More Technology? Yes Please!


In the ever-changing world of technology, it’s tough to keep your classroom updated with the latest learning tool.  A great way for me to stay informed in the world of education is to network with other individuals in the world of education.  The Internet is a great resource that enables me to access blogs, wikis, and periodicals.  I rely on many online resources to help further my own professional development, and these websites are great for networking with other individuals in the art field, not just educators.  Check out a few of my favorites:

National Art Education Assocciation:

Illinois Art Education Association:

PBS Art21:

Teacher Vision:

Princeton Online Art Lessons:

            It’s interesting to see my students’ reaction when I explain how teachers are learners in the classroom too.  I remember thinking that my own teachers from high school just stopped learning once they found a teaching job, and so they would continue to teach the same lessons every year…and I wondered, “How can someone keep doing the same redundant thing each day, each year?” 
Actually, teaching is one of the more unique careers, which enables me to exercise an immeasurable level of creativity each day.  Contrary to my former high school mind-set (and that of many of my own students) learning continues through professional development.  In pursuing a continued education in curriculum and instruction, I am now much more comfortable with implementing new instructional techniques with the use of technology.   Although the art room is home to various hands-on materials such as paint, clay, and plaster, an art class is the perfect place to facilitate lessons through Internet technology like Glogster, Wikispaces, TeacherTube and YouTube.  My students are much more engaged when they have the opportunity to learn through mixed media and differentiation.  From the beginning I have experienced success in my students learning through the use of a few different software applications.  The 3 most efficient and fundamental tools that I use consistently to introduce and reinforce art lessons are Microsoft PowerPoint Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop.  Many fine arts programs lack educational textbooks as resources, so these 3 programs enable me to develop strong lessons that are custom to my students’ needs, interests, and skill levels.  I will continue to utilize these programs since they work so well, although my students will also have opportunities to experience the art world through producing their own interactive poster on Glogster, and participate from home through Wikis. 
            Although hesitant at first, I am grateful for the opportunity to expand my technology skills for the classroom.  I look forward to networking with other artists and educators, and pursuing other prospects in professional development through technology for a quality learning experience for my students.  

1 comment:

  1. You sound so on top of all this stuff! I bet an artistic approach to Glogs & all would make them so much better (I so struggle with the visual aspect!). Good luck with all this fun tech stuff!

    ReplyDelete